Why Should You Have Regular Dental Exams and Cleanings?
Dental exams and cleanings are regularly performed at a dentist’s office near you. They are scheduled every six months or sooner for individuals with special dental health issues. These procedures ensure that your gums and teeth are healthy.
How Dental Examinations Work
When you go for dental exams and cleanings in Decatur, GA, you receive more than a thorough oral cleaning. A dentist or dental hygienist will carry out a dental exam of areas of your mouth. The exam helps them find signs of gum disease, tooth decay, and other oral health issues that may have begun to develop.
It involves taking a thorough look at all the areas of your mouth. Each tooth is assessed closely for signs of decay and damage. The gums are examined for signs of gum disease such as swelling, redness, or recession. Your dentist may also check the face and neck for signs that indicate oral cancer, such as swelling.
The dental experts will ensure that any dental restorations are functioning as required. You will also have a chance to discuss oral health issues you may have noticed and get answers to your questions. The dentist will inform you if any problems are found during the dental exam. Necessary corrective measures will be taken for optimum oral health.
The dentist will use various tools and techniques to carry out these dental checkups. For instance, a concave hand-held mirror is used to check for issues like softened enamel or issues behind and between the teeth. In addition, a physical examination will help check for symptoms of periodontal disease.
The spaces between your gums and teeth are measured through a process called the gum-depth test. Then, dental x-rays of your mouth are taken to check for cavities. They also help diagnose dental problems that are not easily visible. For example, the imaging scans allow the dentist to check your jaw bone for signs of bone loss or TMJ disorders.
After the exam, the dentist will thoroughly clean your mouth, focusing on the gums and teeth. Dental cleaning involves several stages. The first stage is scaling and root planing. Here, the dentist scrapes off plaque and tartar from the teeth surfaces and gums.
Next, the dentist will use a special toothbrush and gritty toothpaste to scrub the teeth surfaces thoroughly. Professional flossing to remove plaque and food debris from tight spots between the teeth follows. The dentist will finally rinse your mouth with liquid fluoride to help strengthen your teeth.
Regular Dental Exam and Cleanings Benefits
An oral exam allows the dentist to compare your current state of oral health to the previous form. If there are negative oral health developments, immediate intervention is carried out. This helps prevent problems requiring the attention of an emergency dentist in Decatur.
- The dentist will examine your teeth and note any problems with tooth restorations or dental appliances. Issues such as broken fillings or loose braces wires are detected through checkups.
- Individuals with halitosis or chronic bad breath can benefit from regular dental cleanings. The treatment gives them a healthier breath with a fresher breath.
- Stains and discolorations on your teeth caused by certain foods and drinks are removed during the procedure. You are assured of a brighter, whiter smile after the intensive oral cleaning.
- The process helps prevent cavities by removing bacteria, plaque, and tartar buildup from the teeth.
- Dental exams help the dentist detect oral cancer early when it is curable.
- Dental exams and cleanings are important in preventing gum disease and detecting its early signs. Cleanings focus on treating it or preventing progression, leading to tooth loss and other health problems.
- Cleaning reduces the risk of cardiovascular and diabetes disease caused by gum infections.
- Various dental plans cover professional dental cleaning. The procedure saves you money that would have been used to rectify problems caused by poor oral hygiene.
Contact us at Roberts Family Dental for professional dental exams and cleanings. Our dental team, led by Dr. Marc Howard Roberts, DDS, is dedicated to keeping your mouth healthy.