How Veneers Can Transform Your Smile
What Are Dental Veneers?
They are thin, custom-made shells designed to cover the front surface of the teeth to improve their appearance. They are typically made of porcelain or composite resin materials and are bonded to the teeth using a special adhesive.
What Dental Problems Can You Fix with Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers near you can correct a variety of dental issues, such as:
- Discolored or stained teeth that cannot be whitened with traditional methods
- Teeth that are chipped or broken
- Teeth that are misshapen or uneven
- Gaps between teeth that are too wide
- Worn down teeth due to grinding or other habits
Understanding the Process of Getting Dental Veneers
Getting dental veneers must first involve a consultation at a dentist’s office near you to determine if they are the right option for your needs. Usually, the dentist conducts an oral exam to determine any anomalies that may disqualify you from getting the treatment.
Afterward, the dentist will prepare the target teeth by removing a small amount of enamel to make room for the veneers. The dentist will not prepare your tooth as extensively as other dental restorations like dental crowns.
The next step entails taking an impression of the prepared tooth to send to a dental laboratory where the veneers will be custom-made to fit your teeth. This process can take time. Therefore, your dentist will often place a temporary crown over the prepared tooth, protecting it before your permanent veneer is really.
The final step of dental veneers in cosmetic dentistry near you entails bonding the veneer to the teeth using a special adhesive. Dentists also employ lasers to cure the adhesive and strengthen the bond.
Preparing For Veneers
If you are considering getting dental veneers, there are a few things you can do to prepare for the procedure:
- Schedule a consultation with a dentist who specializes in cosmetic dentistry. During this consultation, the dentist will evaluate your teeth, discuss your goals for the procedure, and determine if veneers are the right option for you.
- Understand the process and what to expect. Your dentist should explain the procedure beforehand, including any preparation that may be necessary, how long the procedure will take, and what to expect during recovery.
- Consider your options – Dental veneers often feature two different materials; porcelain and composite resin. Your dentist can help you determine the best type for your needs based on factors like durability, aesthetics, and cost.
- Address any existing dental issues, such as cavities or gum disease, before beginning your cosmetic treatment with dental veneers.
- Practicing good oral hygiene habits such as brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting the dentist regularly for cleanings can help ensure the success of your veneers.
What To Expect When Getting Veneers
Getting veneers takes 2-3 appointments and can take several weeks from start to finish. Therefore, when you visit a dental clinic near you, you cannot be in a rush to complete your treatment. However, also liaise with your dentist to know whether you need to show up for 3 sessions because it will depend on the type of dental veneers you choose.
During treatment, anticipate local anesthesia to numb your mouth. It will help you experience a pain-free process, making your smile transformation procedure worthwhile.
After the treatment, you may experience some sensitivity or discomfort. This sensitivity is due to the initial dental work and should not last long. If anything, most patients experience little to no pain and can resume their normal activities shortly after getting veneers. However, keep track of your discomfort after treatment so you can communicate your needs with your dentist if there is a need for retreatment or adjustments.
Get The Beautiful Smile You Have Always Wanted
If you are unsure how to transform your smile, visit us at Roberts Family Dental – Decatur for a consultation. You will be surprised at how much you learn from Dr. Marc Howard Roberts about dental care measures to improve smiles. If you are empowered with information, it should be easier to choose dental veneers or other restorations in cosmetic dentistry to restore your smile.